Saturday, May 12, 2012

CLYDE, TEXAS

I was wondering as we headed North towards Clyde, if everyone feels the draw that I do towards their TRIBE. We float around as emissaries in the “other world”, representing our tribes. Connecting again with this part of my own tribe is such a comfortable feeling for me. Like coming home, or recognizing pieces of yourself in others. It has been a while since I have felt this, and I am grateful to remember who I am and where I come from. As someone who is often the odd cookie, it brings deep relief to spend time with the rest of the missing recipe.

BLOOMING PRICKLEY PEAR

Our trip North from Austin into the Abilene/Clyde/Baird area was gorgeous with the rolling hills and famous Texas flowers. North of Austin is quite rural and the rolling hills reminded me of Provence, France. The rain this spring is bringing them back from the severe drought threatening this part of the country for the last few years. 

CLYDE TEXAS COUSINS
We were welcomed in Clyde by my cousin Jane and her husband Bill, and cousin Larry and his lovely wife Jan. A Texas chili dinner at Jane and Bills was the best. It is raining and cooling down, so our camping is easier without the heat. My grandparents built a life here on a ranch between Clyde and Baird, and I grew up spending happy summers here with my cousins and my special grandparents. My grandmother taught me to drive out in the fields peppered with cows and mesquite and prickly pear cactus. She used to drive through these fields and the cows would follow the honking horn, and that was how the cows were gathered for special feed or doctoring.

THE OLD ROCK HOUSE ON THE FARM/RANCH
IRMA AND ME


Jane and I drove out to the old place and visited a neighbor cousin at her 120 acre place where she lives alone. Irma Dale is in her mid-80’s and charmed us with her stories and ready laugh. She was, and is still ready for fun and trouble if needed. Irma was also my mothers good friend growing up and told some great stories of their adventures growing up.






IRMA AND JANE WITH ONE OF HER MANY HAND MADE QUILTS
Irma is a charming character, who loves purple. Note her skinney jeans and purple cross. A perfect image of Christian woman that is not afraid of having some style.



Jane graciously toured us around the area of nearby Abilene to visit another cousin, Julia at her home there. Julia and the rest of the cousins recently renovated her home there and we got to see the improvements, as well as some of Julia's amazing artwork. I was so overwhelmed, I did not get any pictures! Then we all had MORE MEXICAN FOOD Texas style. Can't get enough of it!

2 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job keeping us in the loop with this terrific blog and photos. I just got over here today after having almost 2 weeks of no contact with you...I MISS YOU, but am so glad you're having a great time and re-connecting with your roots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I thought these would appear on facebook, but if they have I missed them. I thought you just couldn't find internet when I didn't see posts. I'm glad I found these, great photos and text! Jill

    ReplyDelete